TOP FIVES: Bleeding Knees Club
If you haven’t heard of BLEEDING KNEES CLUB before, I’m not quite sure how you’re a human being. Starting out as a duo back in 2010, Gold Coast boys Alex Wall and Jordan Malane started making lo-fi, garage, surf-punk tunes.
Without even intending to gain any sort of attention, the two have since been fronting their very own tours, as well as playing some pretty stellar festivals (Splendour In The Grass, SXSW, The Falls Music and Arts Festival) enforcing their party atmosphere onto audiences around the world.
Produced by the legendary Dev Hynes, they released their debut record Nothing To Do, and have been continuously touring it. You can catch the boys on their Let It Go Tour around Australia throughout November. Tickets are up for grabs HERE.
Not only that, but the boys will also be partying with us at the Early Hours as they spin the decks for a special DJ set. Check out more info on that HERE.
Hosting a musical interest from Blink 182 to the Middle East, we caught up with Jordan of the group for his Top Fives.
TOP 5 ALBUMS
1. Blink 182 – Enema Of The State
2. Girls – Album
3. The Modern Lovers – The Modern Lovers
4. The Velvet Underground and Nico
5. Black Lips – Good Bad Not Evil
TOP 5 AUSTRALIAN ARTISTS
2. Circle Pit
3. Tame Impala
4. The Middle East
5. The Vines
TOP 5 TRACKS YOU HAVE ON REPEAT NOW
1. Cerebral Ballzy – Junky For Her
2. Thee Oh Sees – Hang A Picture
3. Ty Segall Band – Wave Goodbye
4. King Tuff – Unusual World
5. Sky Ferreira – Everything Is Embarrassing
TOP 5 GIG’S YOU’VE BEEN TO
1. Chairlift, No Age, Health, Smith Westerns – Vans Party, Brooklyn 2011 – Alex and I lived in New York for about 6 weeks during summer last year, and Vans has this massive warehouse in Brooklyn with a bunch of skate ramps and stages. They threw a couple of free parties whilst we were and they were pretty awesome, everything is free and it’s really fun.
2. Total Slacker, Diiv, Bleached, Fidlar – SXSW, Texas 2012 – SXSW was so crazy! We played so many shows, it was nuts. One of the days we had a show out of town we had to hitch hike too, some guy picked us up and fitted the three of us and instruments into his sports car. Anyway it was probably my favourite lineup of the week because we played and then got to watch Total Slacker,Diiv, Bleached and Fidlar straight after who we are all fans of. After the show, we hitched a ride with this black stoner guy he became our biggest fan. See attached photo – http://thebleedingkneesclub.tumblr.com/post/19442855761/this-is-the-guy-who-we-hitch-hiked-with-in-texas
3. Pixies – Splendour In The Grass, Byron Bay 2010 – Pixies are probably one of my favourite bands so I was psyched to see them at Splendour. They’re not that amazing to watch, but if you put your head down they sound exactly like the record live.
4. The XX – Forum Theatre, Melbourne 2012 – The first time I saw The XX was at Laneway a few years ago and I was really drunk so I don’t remember much. But I got the chance thanks to my friend to see them at the Forum in Melbourne a couple of months ago and I think I remember saying something like “That was the best show I’ve seen in so long”. So I guess it makes the top five.
5. Port O’Brien – Laneway Festival, Brisbane 2009 – This was ages go but it was so fun and surprisingly loose for a folk band. Everyone invaded the stage for their song ” I Woke Up Today”, it was pretty hectic. Alex was there too and I managed to find this photo of him on stage (bottom left corner).
Mmmmm seems legit..
TOP 5 PLACES FOR A NIGHT OUT IN AUSTRALIA/THE WORLD
1. Glasslands – Williamsburg, New York
2. Brett’s House – Byron Bay
3. The Old Blue Last – Shoreditch, London
4. The Alibi – Dalston, London
5. 285 Kent Ave – Williamsburg, New York
TOP 5 MUSIC ENTERTAINMENT WEBSITES
TOP 5 SONGS TO LOSE YOUR VIRGINITY TO
1. The Wiggles – Fruit Salad
2. Yin Yang Twins – Wait (The Whisper Song)
3. Hampton The Hampster – The Hampsterdance Song
4. Nirvana – Rape Me
5. Descendents – Pervert
TOP 5 PLACES YOU’VE WOKEN UP AFTER A BIG NIGHT
Haha I’m usually the first to pass out, so only got two.
1. One night I came to Melbourne for a weekend and partied at my friends in the city, and I woke up in the apartment next door. It looked exactly the same except it was filled with Indians instead of 20 year-old girls and I have no idea how i got there. I must have sleepwalked.
2. I went to Bali when I was 18 by myself. I think on my third night there I woke up on a lilo next to the pool at 9 in the morning, really hungover and no-one had moved me. Eww.